T +31 (0)20 767 01 80
T +31 (0)20 767 01 89
M +31 (0)6 31 67 03 92
Casper’s extensive experience in financial supervision ranges from banking, trust and insurance activities to payment services and e-money. He is expert with regard to market access issues, compliance and the conducting of supervisory authorities’ investigations. His expertise also includes criminal investigations into financial institutions. Casper is partner at Finnius.
Casper regularly lectures on regulatory topics (Dutch Financial Supervision Act and the Act on the Supervision of Trust Offices 2018) and AML regulation. He is one of the teachers of the Postgraduate Programme ‘Master Certified Trust Officer’ of the University of Leiden. Also, he is member of the editorial team of the Financial Law huB. Casper graduated from the University of Amsterdam.
Prior and present work experience
- Finnius, 2011- present
- DNB, 1998- 2010
- Ministry for Economic Affairs, 1995-1997
- Advising financial institutions on their regulatory strategy;
- Assisting and training of prospected (supervisory) board members for their screening interviews as well as board members with respect to reassessment procedures;
- Assisting in communicating with the Authority for the Financial markets and the Dutch Central Bank regarding escalating issues;
- Counselling and advising financial institutions with respect to supervisory investigations;
- Guiding financial institutions in handling enforcement action by the supervisory authorities (including litigation);
- Assessing the applicability of financial regulation (Wft and Wtt 2018) for financial institutions and start-ups;
- Advising and assisting with the entry to the Dutch market by financial institutions (amongst others PSD2, e-money, banks, trust offices);
- Assisting on the application of a declaration of no-objection with respect to changes in the control structure of a financial institution;
- Advising on integrity regulation, compliance and internal governance;
- Drafting internal policies for financial institutions.
- De impact van de Wtt 2018 voor de reikwijdte van gereguleerde trustdiensten Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht, 2020-5, page 216-222
- De impact van de Wtt 2018 voor de organisatie inrichting van trustkantoren Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht, 2019-11, page 585-591
- Regels voor robotadvisering Tijdschrift voor Compliance, 2017-2, page 84-87
- Integere normen voor trustkantoren Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht, 2016-11, page 433-437
- Regulering na Lehman Onderneming en Financiering, 2014-3, page 4-15
- Het EU single supervisory mechanism; wonderolie of lappenwerk? with L. Vos, ELSA Leiden Magazine, 12-3, page 26-30
- Opinie FD inzake Bitcoins with C.A. Doets, Het Financieele Dagblad, 27 August 2013, page 10
Casper Riekerk has registered Financial Law as his principal legal practice area in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister).
Based on this registration, Csper is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in this registered legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar
“Finnius’ ‘excellent’ practice often advises financial institutions on EU regulatory issues and enforcement matters.”— Legal 500 EMEA 2018