T +31 (0)20 767 01 80
T +31 (0)20 820 80 32 (direct)
M +31 (0)6 11 00 45 26
Tim advises financial institutions on various financial regulatory subjects. Tim particularly has broad knowledge and expertise in the field of investment funds (the AIFMD, UCITS and Venture Capital Regulation (EuVECA)), FinTech (including payments services (PSD2) and electronic money), sustainability related regulation (SFDR and Taxonomy Regulation) and integrity related regulation (AML and sanctions).
In his daily practice, Tim advises on the scope and impact of financial regulatory requirements. He also assists market parties in their contacts with the AFM, such as in connection with a license application or with AFM investigations.
Tim is a committed advisor with strong analytical skills and broad regulatory knowledge, who takes a critical attitude if necessary. His goal is to translate complex financial regulatory requirements into practice.
Tim is recommended in The Legal 500 as ‘Next Generation Partner’ in the field of Investment Funds. The Legal 500 writes about Tim: “Tim de Wit has an outstanding legal knowledge when it comes to the AIFMD, but is not reluctant to assist in more operational organizational matters. Accessible.” (edition 2020). Tim is also recommended in Chambers – Investment Funds (since 2022) as ‘Up and Coming’ and in Chambers – FinTech (2023) in Band 4. Chambers writes: “Tim shows an in-depth knowledge of his area of expertise and is quick on his feet in his analysis and recommendations.” Tim is also included on the list published by legal directory Expert Guides (since 2019) as a ‘Rising Star’ in the field of Investment Funds.
Tim regularly publishes and lectures on the AIFMD, the Venture Capital Regulation, FinTech and AML and sanction law requirements. Tim is one of the teachers of the Grotius specialization course ‘Anti-money laundering legislation and corporate compliance’Tim is co-author of the third print of a book on the Dutch Financial Supervision Act (Wet op het financieel toezicht), ‘Hoofdlijnen Wft’ (Outlines Wft), published in 2013.
Tim graduated from Tilburg University, the Free University of Amsterdam and studied a semester in Sweden, at the Jönkoping International Business School.
Prior and present work experience
- Finnius, 2015 – heden
- NautaDutilh N.V., 2011 – 2015 (including 1.5 year from the New York office)
- Assisting with AIFMD license application and with notification of a new AIF with the AFM;
- Assisting with UCITS license application;
- Regulatory structuring of investment funds;
- Advising on and assisting with AIFMD license extension with MiFID services;
- Advising various fund managers (AIFMD and UCITS) on ongoing AFM-supervision;
- Advising various small managers on conditions of AIFMD subthreshold regime;
- Advising on the implementation of the Mortgage Credit Directive (MCD);
- Advising on the regulatory framework of the Venture Capital Fund Regulation and assisting with the notification of a Venture Capital Fund (EuVECA) with the AFM;
- Advising various types of financial institutions on the scope and application of Dutch AML and sanction laws;
- Assisting FinTech startups in the field of e-money, payment services and regulatory structuring;
- Assisting clients in investigations by the AFM in the field of investment management (AIFMD and MiFID) integrity (AML and sanction laws);
- Ongoing assistance with respect to (new) requirements for consumer credit (including the CCD) and mortgage credit (including the MCD).
- ICT-risicobeheer met DORA Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht, jaargang 26 - mei 2023
- Het structureren van een venture capital fonds Tijdschrift Ondernemingsrechtpraktijk 2022-05
- Rondom het nieuws - Veel ontwikkelingen voor kleine beheerders Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht 2021-1/2
- De Wwft voor asset managers Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht, 2020-3, page 82-92
- Alternative Investment Funds 2019 with R. Labeur, ICLG.com, 08-2019
- Vijf jaar toezicht op alternatieve beleggingsinstellingen: Observaties en ervaringen with R. Labeur, Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht, 2018-11, page 538-549
- Innovatie in het klantacceptatieproces: waarborgen en aandachtspunten Tijdschrift voor Compliance, 2018-2, page 125-132
- Bemiddelen in een FinTech Omgeving Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht, 2017-5, page 173-183
- Rondom het nieuws - Haast met herziening Venture Capital Verordening met R. Labeur, Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht, 2016-9, page 363-369
- Hoofdlijnen Wft co-auteur van L.J. Silverentand en F.W.J. van Eerden, 3e druk Kluwer 2015, Serie Recht en Praktijk Financieel recht
Tim de Wit has registered Financial Law as his principal legal practice area in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas (rechtsgebiedenregister).
Based on this registration, Tim is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in this registered legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.
“Tim is one of the teachers of the Grotius specialization course ‘Anti-money laundering legislation and corporate compliance.”— Chambers Investment Funds