T +31 (0)20 767 01 80
T +31 (0)20 820 80 32 (direct)
M +31 (0)6 11 00 45 26
Tim advises financial institutions on various financial regulatory subjects. Tim particularly has broad knowledge and expertise in the field of investment funds (the AIFMD and Venture Capital Regulation), consumer credit regulation (the CCD and MCD), FinTech (including payments services (PSD2) and electronic money) and integrity related regulation (AML and sanctions).
In his daily practice, Tim advises on the scope and impact of financial regulatory requirements. He also assists market parties in their contacts with the AFM, such as in connection with a license application or with AFM investigations.
Tim is a committed advisor with strong analytical skills and broad regulatory knowledge who takes a critical attitude if necessary. His goal is to translate complex financial regulatory requirements into practice.
Tim is recommended in The Legal 500: Investment Funds (2018). The Legal 500 writes about Tim: “‘Solid, knowledgeable’ senior associate Tim de Wit is ‘fun to work with’”. Tim is also listed as a ‘Rising Star’ in the category ‘Investment Funds’ (2019), published by legal directory Expert Guides.
Tim regularly publishes and lectures on the AIFMD, the Venture Capital Regulation, FinTech and AML and sanction law requirements. Tim is co-author of the third print of a book on the Dutch Financial Supervision Act (Wet op het financieel toezicht), ‘Hoofdlijnen Wft’ (Outlines Wft), published in 2013.
Tim graduated from Tilburg University, the Free University of Amsterdam and studied a semester in Sweden, at the Jönkoping International Business School.
Prior and present work experience
- Finnius, 2015 – heden
- NautaDutilh N.V., 2011 – 2015 (including 1.5 year from the New York office)
- Assisting with AIFMD license application and with notification of a new AIF with the AFM;
- Regulatory structuring of investment funds;
- Advising on and assisting with AIFMD license extension with MiFID services;
- Advising on the implementation of the Mortgage Credit Directive (MCD);
- Advising on the regulatory framework of the Venture Capital Fund Regulation and assisting with the notification of a Venture Capital Fund (EuVECA) with the AFM;
- Advising various types of financial institutions on the scope and application of Dutch AML and sanction laws;
- Assisting FinTech startups in the field of e-money, payment services and regulatory structuring;
- Assisting clients in investigations by the AFM in the field of investment management (AIFMD and MiFID) integrity (AML and sanction laws);
- Ongoing assistance with respect to (new) requirements for consumer credit (including the CCD) and mortgage credit (including the MCD);
- Vijf jaar toezicht op alternatieve beleggingsinstellingen: Observaties en ervaringen with R. Labeur, Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht, 2018-11, page 538-549
- Innovatie in het klantacceptatieproces: waarborgen en aandachtspunten Tijdschrift voor Compliance 2018-2, pp. 125-132
- Bemiddelen in een FinTech Omgeving Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht 2017-5, pp. 173-183
- Rondom het nieuws - Haast met herziening Venture Capital Verordening met R. Labeur, Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht 2016-9, pp. 363-369
- Hoofdlijnen Wft co-auteur van L.J. Silverentand en F.W.J. van Eerden, 3e druk Kluwer 2015, Serie Recht en Praktijk Financieel recht
“Solid, knowledgeable senior associate Tim de Wit is fun to work with.”— Legal 500